Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Final Days

Upenda and I
The final days of my trip were incredible and not well documented. I wanted to take the time to reflect, absorb and take in all of the experiences and changes I had been through without a Nikon hanging around my neck. On our last day in Tanzania I created a friendship with a little girl Upenda. Upenda is one of Mama Lynn's children (she does not call them orphans) who is now 12 years old. She has been with Mama Lynn for as long as she can remember and hopes to become a preacher, to spread love and joy around the world. During our time together she sang to me, taught me songs and wanted to know all about my nail polish, the children I teach and see pictures of Finn. After our day together she asked if I would be visiting her tomorrow and my heart just sank. I was getting on a plane that night and she had no idea. The last few moments of our car ride were spent having me explain to her how long I would be on the plane, where I was headed and if I would be back. There was so much hope in her eyes and it crushed me. I promised to be in touch (a promise I can and will keep) and told her that I would try very hard to visit again. Upenda is just one of the many amazing children that are being raised by Mama Lynn at Light In Africa and I am so happy she has found a home there.
Sarah fell asleep on me

Lunch break during our field trip

Jacob and the twins

Joan and one of the children

Rosemary, Irene and Upenda

The boys in their brand new shirts

Sarah, Jacob and the twins at lunch

The boys at lunch

Twins and their twin bananas!

Ja
Jacob posing for the camera

Rosemary posing for the camera

Tired Twin

I thought this was funny

Goodbye Tanzania, I hope to visit again....

No comments:

Post a Comment