Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 4



Money for the teachers
Today was a crazy day… We somehow managed to pass out uniforms (donated to the children from a child’s birthday party), teach and “supervise” 8  lessons, enjoy a lunch provided by the teachers of Mbahe and N’gauroni schools and give each teacher $60 ($10.00/each from the teachers of TCS). I was completely wiped out by the time we walked ourselves back up the hill and just as I was beginning to doze off Felix offered to take us on a one and a half hour walk around the farm!
There was not a single part of me that wanted to get up from the couch, but I am so glad I did! Felix talked to us about the way his families land has been passed down and divided amongst the men in his family (a daughter gets nothing and must marry before her parents die!). We walked through the coffee trees, under the beehives and through the 
"You're not a vegetarian?!"
numerous vegetable gardens and fruit tree orchards. We ended our hike by visiting the “protein” section of the farm where I saw the cutest little pigs, cow and goats.  To say that his family “lives off of the land” would be an understatement. 

Pure Joy!
The day ended with one of the most interesting dinners ever.
Most of our dinners have been HUGE with 2 sides, a main meal and a salad. So tonight I ate minimally and had small sides, but the main meal never arrived! So after dinner I was still pretty hungry (I didn’t eat a lot of the lunch at the school for fear of getting sick) and I asked Bennet if I could have a piece of toast with peanut butter. He smiled and said “Yes, of course.” Then Marty (one of the women I am traveling with) asked if she could have some more potatoes. He gave her an interesting look and said “Yes, of course.” and disappeared into the kitchen. About 20 minutes later her arrived with a bowl of what looked like ice cream rolled in powdered chocolate, too good to be true! Then I took a bite of it and found that the cook had rolled and stuffed the potatoes in peanut butter then “toasted” them in a pan! A new power meal was created.
Here are some of my favorites of the day:
I think they liked their flags!

Neighborhood children

Felix on his farm

The bee hives

Fresh Coffee

Sketch Art

Our lunch from the teachers

Our lunch with the teachers

A well loved and used desk

Typical classroom

The children and their uniforms!

I loved his smile

His name is Goodluck!

A sweet girl and her new uniform

Sketch Art!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment